Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Juliet Jones comics by Stan Drake

When I was young, I didn't even want to look at comics like "Juliet Jones," they were beneath my level. But later, I developed an appreciation for that kind of craftsmanship. That's why I decided to acquire these two originals from 1979 and 1987. 

I was especially fascinated to see how the artist, Stan Drake, without mercy, cut his own old art, mostly the face of the Juliet, and pasted it new strips -- that can be seen in these originals. In art from 1979 (above), the face of Juliet on the left is pasted in, on the right it's cut out to be appropriated in some other comic. In the art from 1987 (below), Juliet's face on the right is pasted in from who knows where. 

I don't know how he had the heart to do that to his art, except if he didn't appreciate it as much as I did when I was a younger man.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment